Friday, February 20, 2015

Patience Test, Part 1



PATIENCE:  ALLOWS LIFE TIME TO FALL INTO PLACE (from "An Iota of Truth" BlogSpot)
 
It’s been 53 days since I was placed on the lung transplant list and I thought it was time to pass along a few insights – on patience in particular, since that is what my last blog was about.   

First, patience definitely is not something that is inherently there just because you think it is.

Next, is patience really all it is cracked up to be? 

And finally, when have you been REALLY tested? 

What exactly am I getting at?  I have some great analogies I will save for the next blog, but for now, just think about this … what have you done lately that required more patience than you thought you had.  And then, how did you handle it when you were surprised you didn’t have it in the abundance you thought you had it.

Just some food for thought, since I have been processing this concept over and over. Maybe you can help me uncover some great secret I'm missing out on.

 
Now going a different direction, several of you have asked a little more about how I got into this predicament in the first place, of having my lungs wreck havoc with my life.  The answer to the first question I am always asked:  NO, I have never smoked, nor have I ever been around second hand smoke other than getting in and out of WalMart. If you don’t understand this reference, your local WalMart must have a more effective employee smoking area.

So here is the story, the short and oh so sweet version:  In 1994, I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis.  Fast forward to 2008.  After extensive evaluations at Scott and White in Temple, Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, and National Jewish in Denver, I was finally diagnosed with bronchiolitis obliterans as a result of my rheumatoid.  This happens in approximately 2% of patients with RA. Oh yes, that feeling of being special is coming through loud and strong.

According to its definition, BO is "a rare and life-threatening form of non-reversible obstructive lung disease in which the bronchioles (small airway branches) are compressed and narrowed by fibrosis (scar tissue) and/or inflammation.”  How’s that for a fairly crummy way to start your day? 

Even with supplemental oxygen, the progression of the disease has been gradually affecting my ability to live life the way I was expecting I would. It is especially noticeable with physical exertion.  On my last Pulmonary Function Test, I was at 21% lung function and dreaming of what it would feel like to be 100%.   However, do you have any idea how many things you can do while sitting?  To Don’s dismay, I haven’t perfected cooking, but I am working on organizing my photographs in preparation for digital scrapbooking, I just got Photoshop Elements so now I have to learn how to use it, I have been known to play a computer game here and there, I have gotten addicted to Pinterest, I am working on a few very fun projects, I have downloaded all my CDs into iTunes, I am trying to computerize all my files of papers, but there is so much more I still haven’t gotten to yet.  There just aren’t enough hours in the day!

What does the future look like?  With new lungs I will walk out of the hospital without supplemental oxygen!  But they say it will be about 6 months to a year before I am back in the swing of things.  And then for the rest of my life, I will be on gazillions of dollars’ worth of fabulous drugs that will enable me to keep on living … and Don to keep on working? And/or great insurance that doesn’t cancel me!

So, the big question is:  Has patience let my life fall into place?  Stay tuned for Part 2…….

And that is the short and sweet.  Now, what am I requesting of you?  Continued prayers of course, but let me be specific: 

1.      For the continued presence of God in my understanding of patience.

2.      For those people with severe health issues who don’t have the incredible support system I have.

3.      As always, for the family whose loss will be my gain.

Love you all for your continued support and prayers,

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment