Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Sit It Out or Dance

Sit It Out or Dance
A few of you may remember the email I sent out 5½ years ago:
February 16, 2009:  the words I wanted most to hear were “You qualify for lung transplants.”
July 16, 2009:  the words I heard were “You do NOT qualify for lung transplants ….. because you do not need them.”
The journey since 2009 has been truly blessed.   But now, December, 2014, I have again been told that it is time.  And this time, I am ready.

What exactly is that going to look like?  First, I will spend a week in Dallas being poked, pushed, prodded, and pulled. Then I wait for the words “You qualify”. 

The next step?  Easy.  We wait.  Patiently?  Uh … really?  Pleading with God?  Stressed? Thanking God?  Obsessed?  (Looks like God and I may need some time on my tractor.)  Or maybe I’ll just think about that tomorrow.

And then when the call comes that they have lungs for me? I go. So simple. I just go. And I make sure Don doesn't let go of my hand. That’s it.  The rest is up to everyone else.  Especially God.   

I have to quit thinking about the fact that someone had to die.  I quit thinking about how my body didn’t hold up quite like I expected.  I quit thinking this only happens to other people, right?  I quit thinking that this might involve a little bit of pain.  I quit thinking that I didn’t 
show Don where all the passwords are. I quit thinking of all the things I haven’t said to those I love.  

During this journey, I have kept a folder on my computer desktop labeled ‘My Blessings’.  Random things get put in there, but when I started looking back through it, I found this 
blurb I was thinking back in  2008: 
 
‘I Hope You Dance’ has to be my new theme song.  I may not be dancing right now, but I CAN be laughing, I CAN be finding things to be happy about, I CAN be encouraging others, I CAN be full of love for the people I have in my life.  I AM in love with this song.
 
Here are some of the words to this song because, again, it seems so appropriate:
 
“I Hope You Dance” sung by Lee Ann Womack

I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat but always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
God forbid love ever leave you empty handed

I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean
Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens
Promise me that you’ll give faith a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
 
I hope you dance
I hope you dance
So where do you, my dear friends, fit in on this journey?
 
1.      Are you an organ donor?  If not, sign up NOW.  Right now!  Go to organdonor.gov.  NOW!  Trust me, though… I don’t want YOUR lungs!
2.      Pray first that I hear the words “You Qualify”.  Then please ask God to bless me with a peaceful spirit.
3.      But especially, pray for the family that will be heart-broken when I get the call that I have new lungs waiting for me.  My celebration coming at someone else’s loss is quite overwhelming for me.
 
“I can be full of love for the people I have in my life” …. And I am and I say thank you.

Nancy 
PS…Dance lessons next summer anyone??

No comments:

Post a Comment